Why Does It Matter?
- Giant dogs sleep. A lot. Often over 18-20 hours a day. As they age, even more. Think what it would do to your body to sleep on the wrong sort of bed. Too hard or too soft and you’d ache all day.
- Giant dogs are prone to orthopedic issues. All giants are. They don’t need an okay dog bed they need the best dog beds. Everything about giant breed dogs are more expensive – food, veterinary care, medications. Dog beds are no exception. But they are one of the best things you can do for your friend.
- Behavior is impacted by pain. If your dog aches, they can be more reactive on leash, less patient with other dogs or people. Just like us, when we hurt we have less tolerance.
What Do I Look For?
- Thick: Thin beds can offer no real support when your heavy weight lies down. We’ve all slept on a thin mattress at one time or another; they don’t make for a good night’s sleep.
- High Quality: Only a quality dog bed can support the 100+ pounds of the average Great Dane. The best quality beds guarantee that support. Poor quality beds flatten out quickly becoming thin offering no real support or, worse yet but still common, they flatten out immediately letting those tender elbows hit hard floor on the first flop.
- Washable Covers/Waterproof: Great Dane beds are an investment so they need to last a long time and be easy to clean up. Heavy-duty fabrics, hard-wearing zippers and a good waterproof liner are three more things I look for.
Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed(Sleek Edition)
USA made from USA foam with a 10 year guarantee. Heavy duty fabric, machine washable and easy to clean. They offer a seriously waterproof liner separately. When I spoke to Big Barker founder, Eric Shannon, he explained that they test the waterproof fabric by cupping a piece, filling it with water then leaving it to hang overnight. That got my attention. 7″ thick, your Dane’s elbows will never feel the floor when flopping down. (Also consider Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed (Headrest Edition) for Danes who like to rest their heads on a pillow.)
K9 Ballistics Orthopedic Round Tuff Dog Bed Green
Huge at 54″ in diameter, this 5″ thick bed (3.5″ supportive high density foam and 1.5″ high density medical grade memory foam) will hold up under most dogs. Inner and outer covers are both waterproof.
55SP XXL Extra Large 55″X37″X4″ Orthopedic Memory Foam Pet Dog Bed with waterproof brown Microsuede cover for larger dog
This enormous dog bed is made from 4″ of solid memory foam which is cool and firm until your dog lies down and then, like all memory foam, it adapts to the body resting on it. The machine washable luxury Microsuede fabric is stain, dirt and wrinkle resistant. It is not waterproof, though the internal one is “under normal use.”
Go Pet Club Solid Memory Foam Orthopedic Pet Bed with Waterproof Cover, 44 by 32 by 4-Inch
The title above about says it all though it left out the non-slip, rubber bottom on the outside cover.
To live the most pain-free, comfortable life possible, get your Great Dane a top-quality dog bed. They need them.